¨Le Grand Jeu”is the name of a game designed in May-July 2016 by an expert group in a 4 days workshop, held in Milan 10-14 July 2016.
The group includes artists, engineers, design experts and activists.
The idea and the direction of the process came by to help design a situation where some narratives about the future of our society could be told, crafted and eventually discussed in a positive way.
Newsreel – what are we up to
Some news for “le grand jeu” this spring.
This May, the game is invited to participate to Dark Matter Games and is a coproduction of SALE Doks and Workspacebrussels, a flemish organisation based in Bruxelles that is interested in social/art/interventions.
“Dark Matter Games is an art project that aims to develop and present innovative and socially engaged art practices that often fall out of the scope of more classical art institutions. Inspired by the essay Dark Matter by Gregory Sholette, the project gathers, shares, develops and presents over 25 art practices that take social interaction and transdisciplinarity as their starting point.
A workweek in april will give the opportunity to the participating artists to share their practice and articulate possible urban interventions. In the context of the Venice Biennial opening weekend in May, we will present these interventions during an urban festival, the Dark Matter Games. This event will combine exhibitions, round tables, performances and interventions alike. The aftermath will take the shape of a publication that will be presented in Brussels, in late fall.”
For the program of the 3 days workshop, I will adapt and rework legrandjeu to describe Venice reality.
Sale DOKS is a 10 years old occupation, legalized with a temporary agreement with the City of Venice that will fall out in 2019. Has a base with the still quite active network of alternative spaces of Venice. Their activity is since the beginning, as for Milano’s Macao, art practice based. They organize performances, public interventions, and shows, with an interesting history of fine arts and performance, always quite controversial. The venue is 3’ walk from the Peggy Guggenheim, in front of the Giudecca, and used to be a salt deposit from the 15th century on. The walls still white from salt concretions. The setup has been made with parts scavenged from previous Biennale pavilions and there is an atelier, a bar, a sort of reconfigurable theater space, and a lot of activity.
The workshop, that Fredd is going to document a bit, will lead to the definition of a “Venetian Edition” of the game custom made for the May 11/15 presentation when we will present an open game session of “Le Gran Jeu” Venice.
We are happy to participate to Venice Architecture Biennale, as side event of a special program of activities and a interesting exhibit named Gang City. Is a space curated by Fabio Armao from the Politecnico di Torino, (University of Turin) the exhibition aims to explore the phenomena of gangs from a anthropological and urbanistic eye.
In this context we are going to introduce “le Gand Jeu”, with some precise adaptations of our games geared towards the simulation of eco-social flows of values and commodities in the dystopian world of city gangs.
We hope as such to learn more on the capabilities of the game and of our own ability of using it as a research tool to comprehend the flows of ideas, grand narratives and fascinations that fellow humans have available to share while playing.
To talk about games and transition with the makers, or if you leave in the venetian area to participate as players, feel free to contact us beforehand following the link to our email.
Barbara Cammarata, Chiara Dona’ Dalle Rose, Polline.it, CIID, Dyne.org, Macao.
Setting up the web site for ¨Le Grand Jeu¨ adventure.
- Some design glitches corrected
- logo: done (madu)
- legacy with iteration 7 on the go (fredd & raffa)
- thinking and tinkering done..
- iteration 7 package download and git (fredd) on the go
- backsite hardening (firegarden)
keep up the good work guys!
- Dyne.org video channel: The Thinkers and Makers behind Dowse April 22, 2018
- n-gate.com. we can't both be right.: webshit weekly April 22, 2018An annotated digest of the top "Hacker" "News" posts for the third week of April, 2018. H&R Block and Intuit Lobbying Against Simpler Tax Filing (2017) April 14, 2018 (comments) The United States Congress continues the war against its own users. Hackernews can't decide if the politicians involved are liars or just idiots. A handful […]
- Informatic school is in southwest Cameroon: 2018 STUDENTS ON INTERNSHIP April 20, 2018There is a total of five students sent out by the Association of Linux friends for internship from April 2018 till present. Each student is required to spend two months in their various places of internship. All the institutions in which the students were sent are in the Limbe, sub division. In the Ministry of […]
- Informatic school is in southwest Cameroon: ADVANCE CLASS SPECIALISATIONS April 20, 2018Today 20th April 2018, the advance class students had a meeting with the administration during this meeting the students presented individually what they have learn from this class, the aimed of the presentation was to fine out if the students could already be preparing to go for internship in big companies like network companies, webdesign […]
- Informatic school is in southwest Cameroon: VISIT TO SCHOOLS IN THE LIMBE II SUB DIVISION, CONTINUATION April 20, 2018Wednesday the 11th of April, I was still in some schools in Limbe II. I started at Governments School Mokundange were I was given a warm reception. After presenting the package the Association of Linux Friends have to offer I could see the excitement on most faces of the class six pupils, even though some […]
- Informatic school is in southwest Cameroon: VISIT TO SCHOOLS IN THE LIMBE II SUB DIVISION April 20, 2018On the 11th of April 2018 I visited schools in the Limbe II Sub division. On Tuesday, my first stop was at UNIC Nursery and Primary school Batoke. In this school I talked to the teachers and the headmistress about the programs offered at the Association of Linux Friends. They were very happy about the […]