¨Le Grand Jeu”is the name of a game designed in May-July 2016 by an expert group in a 4 days workshop, held in Milan 10-14 July 2016.
The group includes artists, engineers, design experts and activists.
The idea and the direction of the process came by to help design a situation where some narratives about the future of our society could be told, crafted and eventually discussed in a positive way.
Newsreel – what are we up to
Some news for “le grand jeu” this spring.
This May, the game is invited to participate to Dark Matter Games and is a coproduction of SALE Doks and Workspacebrussels, a flemish organisation based in Bruxelles that is interested in social/art/interventions.
“Dark Matter Games is an art project that aims to develop and present innovative and socially engaged art practices that often fall out of the scope of more classical art institutions. Inspired by the essay Dark Matter by Gregory Sholette, the project gathers, shares, develops and presents over 25 art practices that take social interaction and transdisciplinarity as their starting point.
A workweek in april will give the opportunity to the participating artists to share their practice and articulate possible urban interventions. In the context of the Venice Biennial opening weekend in May, we will present these interventions during an urban festival, the Dark Matter Games. This event will combine exhibitions, round tables, performances and interventions alike. The aftermath will take the shape of a publication that will be presented in Brussels, in late fall.”
For the program of the 3 days workshop, I will adapt and rework legrandjeu to describe Venice reality.
Sale DOKS is a 10 years old occupation, legalized with a temporary agreement with the City of Venice that will fall out in 2019. Has a base with the still quite active network of alternative spaces of Venice. Their activity is since the beginning, as for Milano’s Macao, art practice based. They organize performances, public interventions, and shows, with an interesting history of fine arts and performance, always quite controversial. The venue is 3’ walk from the Peggy Guggenheim, in front of the Giudecca, and used to be a salt deposit from the 15th century on. The walls still white from salt concretions. The setup has been made with parts scavenged from previous Biennale pavilions and there is an atelier, a bar, a sort of reconfigurable theater space, and a lot of activity.
The workshop, that Fredd is going to document a bit, will lead to the definition of a “Venetian Edition” of the game custom made for the May 11/15 presentation when we will present an open game session of “Le Gran Jeu” Venice.
We are happy to participate to Venice Architecture Biennale, as side event of a special program of activities and a interesting exhibit named Gang City. Is a space curated by Fabio Armao from the Politecnico di Torino, (University of Turin) the exhibition aims to explore the phenomena of gangs from a anthropological and urbanistic eye.
In this context we are going to introduce “le Gand Jeu”, with some precise adaptations of our games geared towards the simulation of eco-social flows of values and commodities in the dystopian world of city gangs.
We hope as such to learn more on the capabilities of the game and of our own ability of using it as a research tool to comprehend the flows of ideas, grand narratives and fascinations that fellow humans have available to share while playing.
To talk about games and transition with the makers, or if you leave in the venetian area to participate as players, feel free to contact us beforehand following the link to our email.
Barbara Cammarata, Chiara Dona’ Dalle Rose, Polline.it, CIID, Dyne.org, Macao.
Setting up the web site for ¨Le Grand Jeu¨ adventure.
- Some design glitches corrected
- logo: done (madu)
- legacy with iteration 7 on the go (fredd & raffa)
- thinking and tinkering done..
- iteration 7 package download and git (fredd) on the go
- backsite hardening (firegarden)
keep up the good work guys!
- Vlax: Preserving borders : amazing pictures of migrant's seized belongings June 24, 2018Preserving borders : amazing pictures of migrant's seized belongings Tom Kiefer was a Customs and Border Protection janitor for almost four years before he took a good look inside the trash. (...) In 2014—after more than a decade working with C.B.P (in a processing center in Ajo, Arizona, less than fifty miles from the border […]
- Vlax: #Monstrous Melodies by Kazoomzoom June 23, 2018#Monstrous Melodies by Kazoomzoom Monsters are not real, but they these songs are REALLY fun! Great #music to share at the Internet Archive! https://archive.org/details/kzz005
- Vlax: #What !? June 23, 2018#What !? Nada, que un estudio dice que las trazas de cocaína de los ríos londinenses podrían estar enfermando a las anguilas y eso sin valorar el resto de lo que han encontrado: THC, morfina, MDMA, pesticidas, metales pesados, fenoles y antibióticos. Menudo after. https://twitter.com/minipetite/status/1010206877072986113 #cocaina #rios #agua #cultura #ambiente #sociedad #salud #drogas
- Vlax: Codec2: A Whole Podcast on a Floppy Disk (https://auphonic.com/blog... June 23, 2018Codec2: A Whole Podcast on a Floppy Disk In a previous blogpost we talked about the Opus codec, which offers very low bitrates. Another codec seeking to achieve even lower bitrates is Codec 2. Codec 2 is designed for use with speech only,… Article word count: 1075 HN Discussion: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17383061 Posted by ericdanielski (karma: 443) […]
- Dyne.org video channel: Devuan GNU+Linux presented at FSCONS 2016 June 22, 2018
- Vlax: 5 tracks of #8bit #robo #punk re-edited by Enough records (electro/... June 22, 20185 tracks of #8bit #robo #punk re-edited by Enough records (electro/portugal) and Nacion Libre records (punk rock/mexico). Downloadable for free or as a USB cassette tape (bundled with free software). https://hadokowa.bandcamp.com/album/loading-2 All design was made with #inkscape. #music #creativecommons #chiptunes #fma #foss #USB #tape #cassette #electro #rock